Family Bike Shop

The official Family Bike Shop blog that I try to keep up to date with current events, bike shop ride info, and Team Family Bike Shop/DCMTB race results.

Tuesday, March 20, 2007

Wind and Corned Beef and Cabbage.

I had to work on Sunday so I wasn't able to race in the morning. So instead of heading down to Trade Zone, Jim, Tom and I headed out for a round the Severn River ride. It was a pretty cold morning and very windy. Unfortunately, we read the wind wrong and had a tailwind for the first half the ride and were straight into the headwind coming home. It was so windy that when we rode over the Naval Academy Bridge it was difficult to ride in a straight line. We had to lean into the wind just to avoid getting blown into traffic. Good times.
I seemed to spend most of the ride on the front pulling those 2 around as Jim is out of shape after a long winter and Tom prefers to hang in the back. The best part of riding was all the noise that Jim was making. Between his asthma and the cold air I thought that he was going to die on us. I think that he may have even left some of his lungs along the side of the road.
We ended up with about 40 miles in just under 2.5 hrs.
After work on Sunday, Sarah and I packed up the kids and headed over to my parents' for some corned beef and cabbage. I have to tell you, it was the best I've ever had. My dad is a great cook and he outdid himself this year. The Irish soda bread he made was awesome, too.
So even though I had to work it turned out to be a great day. We are getting extremely busy at the shop and the season isn't even in full swing yet! Get those bikes in for there for tune-ups so when the weather really breaks you are ready to ride!
Oh, and if anyone wants a part time mechanic job, come on by the shop and talk to me.

Keeping the rubber side down,
Jonathan

2 Comments:

At 9:20 PM , Blogger BicycleXC said...

nice pics

but i dunno, i seem to recall being in the front on the B&A trail, and on 450

but yea, good times

 
At 10:55 PM , Blogger Jim said...

Left some lung on the road? Dude... you've stumbled onto my weight loss secret. Two good asthma-induced coughing fits during any given cold weather ride, and I'm good for losing 2-3 pounds of solid material, and that's if I don't barf. The only problem is if the EPA catches up to me... I'll be criminally liable under the Clean Water Act for making an unauthorized pollutant discharge into a watershed. Thanks for pulling me bro. I'll be returning the favor within a few weeks I hope. Nothing like overdoing it on volume and intensity until your legs start locking up, huh? The non-diet diet is coming along now that I'm riding every day. Seems easier to eat right when I ride every day - I just don't crave as much quick hits of junk food and seem to crave slow burning, lighter feeling food. We'll see.

As for you, Tom... yeah, you had a couple nice pulls. You might want to buy Jon a cheeseburger, however.

 

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home